Welcome to Nursery!
We are the Robins class
In our class we work with Miss Cooper and Miss Dolan
From 2nd November 2020 Nursery session times will run as follows:
AM Session: 8.30am - 11.30am
PM Session: 12.00pm - 3.00pm
Full Time Session: 8.30am - 3.00pm
Please ensure you collect your child on time at the end of each session.
Welcome to Autumn 2! We are so excited to get going again and are raring to go with all our new learning. We settled so well during our first half term and we can't wait to carry on!
This half term, our topic will be 'When the Wind Blows'. We will be learning about autumn and the changing seasons, exploring and investigating the world around us and finding out facts and information about plants, animals and the weather as it gets colder and darker.
We will be exploring non-fiction texts as well as the stories of Leaf Man and Stick Man. We will be learning new vocabulary, talking about books and stories and start practising writing our names in English.
In Phonics we will be continuing Phase 1 to develop our listening skills, focussing in particular on Aspect 3: Body Percussion and Aspect 4: Rhythm and Rhyme.
In Maths we will be comparing amounts, saying which has more or fewer and we will begin to explore number, counting out objects from a larger amount, counting objects to 3 and reciting numbers to 5.
We will continue our development of Communication and Language, Physical Development, Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts and Design through our learning in the continuous provision.
In the Nursery our curriculum is based on ‘Development Matters in the Early Years Foundation Stage’ (EYFS). This has recently been updated and the 2020 version has now been published.
There are 7 areas of learning – 3 prime areas (Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Communication and Language, Physical Development) and 4 specific areas (Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World, Expressive Arts and Design).
At Moorhouse, the 4 themes of the EYFS underpin all our planning, practice and provision - A Unique Child, Positive Relationships and Enabling Environments, which together equal Learning and Development.
We also plan for, observe and assess the way in which your child approaches learning. This is done through the ‘Characteristics of Effective Learning’ and we report on this at the end of the Reception year.
The 3 characteristics are Playing and Exploring, Active Learning and Creating and Thinking Critically.
Children participate in daily Literacy, Maths and Phonics sessions. These sessions are interactive, multi-sensory and adapted to different learning styles.
Our Literacy sessions are based around a variety of fiction and non-fiction texts. Shared reading and writing is modelled and children also have the opportunity to compare different types of texts, videos or web-based writing.
Our Maths sessions are often energetic and collaborative. We sing lots of songs and use lots of different resources to aid learning. The majority of our work is practical with photographic evidence of the activities in the children’s Learning Journeys.
For our Phonics sessions we currently use a scheme called 'Letters and Sounds'. Nursery cover Phase 1 of a six phase scheme.
Things to Remember:
- Please ensure that you provide your child with a clean change of clothes. This will be kept on their coat peg and used for any accidents. We do not currently have many spare clothes available in school.
- Please provide your child with a pair of pumps to be used for indoor PE.
- Please provide a pair of wellies for your child to keep in school for outside learning.
- All clothes and possessions should be named.
- Please do not allow your children to use or play on the outside equipment before or after school. Children must only use the equipment when supervised by a member of staff.
- You must not enter the school building unless by prior arrangement with a member of the Senior Leadership Team. Please do not cross the white line surrounding the outside door. You should wear a mask when dropping off/collecting your child. Staff will wear protective face shields at these times.
- If you wish to contact school or speak to a member of staff, please phone the school office to book a telephone appointment.
- Book share will be starting soon. Books will be changed on a Monday. Please make sure that you bring books back in order for them to be changed. Books will be quarantined before being sent out again.
Useful Websites & Resources
Try out these links to help you support your child at home: