Welcome to Year One
Class Teacher- Mrs Lee
Teaching Assistant- Mrs Freeman
Learning Challenge: What would Beegu think of planet Earth?
This half term our key text is the story of Beegu by Alexis Deacon.
Beegu is not supposed to be on planet Earth. She is lost. She is a friendly little creature, but the Earth people don’t feel very welcoming at all. So far she has only met the big ones....the little ones are a different matter.
This half term we will be writing a recount, focusing on;
- Sentence structure
- Adjectives and conjunctions
- Time adverbials
- Grammar - adding ly
- Applying our phonics to our writing
- Checking our work - does it make sense? How can I make it better?
We will also be writing a newspaper report based on our alien crash landing discovery. We will be looking at the features of a newspaper report;
- Rhetorical question
Phonics is a big part of Year 1. The children will do 20 minutes of phonics learning each day, just like they did in Reception. These are fun, pacy sessions which involve games and tasks. They will learn tricky words, spelling rules and how to sound out (segment) and blend, to aid them with their reading and writing. .
How can you help your child at home?
Please practice your child’s sounds and spellings as they come home. Letters and sounds are everywhere! Encourage your child to spot letters and words whilst out and about e.g. road signs, number plates, food packaging, adverts etc...
Phonics screening takes place in June for all Year 1 children. A phonics meeting will be held nearer the time. Please check our class page and newsletter for updates.
In Year 1 the children will be introduced to our new maths scheme Power Maths. Power Maths is a whole-class mastery programme designed to help nurture confidence in maths. This term we will be focussing on;
- Numbers to 20
- Addition and subtraction (within 20)
- Numbers to 50
- Introducing length and height
Moorhouse Primary School are pleased to be members of the North West Maths Hub. Working alongside other schools in the Rochdale Borough we share good practice to ensuring we are achieving the very best for our children. Should you wish to discuss the Power Maths scheme and the mastery approach further please make an appointment at the office too see either myself or Miss Whiteley (Year 6 teacher and Maths lead).
In topic this half term, Green Finches will be learning to;
- distinguish between an object and the material from which it is made
- identify and name a variety of everyday materials including wood, plastic, glass, metal, water and rock
- describe properties of everyday materials
- compare and group everyday materials
Books are changed Monday, Wednesday and Friday when your child’s book has been read x3 and their reading record signed by an adult.
P.E is every Monday and Wednesday. Please ensure your child has a full kit consisting of; a plain T-shirt, dark coloured shorts or leggings and black pumps. Long hair should be tied back.
Homework will be given on Friday and is to returned for the following Wednesday.
Spellings will be sent home on Friday to be tested the following Friday.
Dates for your diary
- Monday 6th January 2020 - Return to school
- Monday 10th February 2020 - Year 1 visit Dippy The Dinosaur
- Thursday 13th February 2020 - Year 1 Kitchen Event
- Friday 14th February 2020 - Valentines disco
- Tuesday 3rd March 2020 - World Book Day
- Friday 13th March 2020- Red Nose Day
- Thursday 26th March 2020 - Wear A Hat Day (raising funds for brain tumour awareness)
- Thursday 2nd April 2020 - Wear something blue (world autism awareness day)
- Last day of term Friday 3rd April 2020
Spellings - 07/02/20