Welcome to Year One
Class Teacher- Mrs Lee
Teaching Assistant- Mrs Freeman
Learning Challenge: Are iPads more fun than my Grandparents old toys?
This half term our key text is the story of Dogger by Shirley Hughes.
When Dave loses his favourite toy Dogger he is miserable, but then Dogger turns up at the school fair and everything seems okay....that is until somebody else buys him.
This half term we will be innovating a story, focusing on;
- Sentence structure
- Time adverbials
- Suffixes and plurals
- Applying our phonics to our writing
- Editing and improving
Phonics is a big part of Year 1. The children will do 20 minutes of phonics learning each day, just like they did in Reception. These are fun, pacy sessions which involve games and tasks. They will learn tricky words, spelling rules and how to sound out (segment) and blend, to aid them with their reading and writing.
How can you help your child at home?
Please practice your child’s sounds and spellings as they come home. Letters and sounds are everywhere! Encourage your child to spot letters and words whilst out and about e.g. road signs, number plates, food packaging, adverts etc...
Phonics screening takes place in June for all Year 1 children. A phonics meeting will be held nearer the time. Please check our class page and newsletter for updates.
In Year 1 the children will be introduced to our new maths scheme Power Maths. Power Maths is a whole-class mastery programme designed to help nurture confidence in maths. This term we will be focussing on;
- Numbers to 50
- Addition and subtraction (within 50)
- Introducing length and height
- Introducing height and volume
In topic this half term, Green Finches will be learning to;
- distinguish between an object and the material from which it is made
- identify and name a variety of everyday materials including wood, plastic, glass, metal, water and rock
- describe properties of everyday materials
- compare and group everyday materials
Books are changed Monday, Wednesday and Friday when your child’s book has been read x3 and their reading record signed by an adult.
P.E is every Monday and Wednesday. Please ensure your child has a full kit consisting of; a plain T-shirt, dark coloured shorts or leggings and black pumps. Long hair should be tied back.
Homework will be given on Friday and is to returned for the following Wednesday.
Spellings will be sent home on Friday to be tested the following Friday.
Dates for your diary
- Monday 2nd March - Return to school
- Monday 2nd March - Year 1 library visit
- Thursday 5th March - World Book Day (details to follow)
- Monday 9th March - Start of Sport Relief week
- Wednesday 18th March - Class photographs
- Monday 23rd March - Science Roadshow
- Monday 23rd - Parents evening (details to follow)
- Thursday 26th March 2020 - Wear A Hat Day (raising funds for brain tumour awareness)
- Thursday 2nd April 2020 - Wear something blue (world autism awareness day)
- Friday 3rd April 2020 - Last day of term for Easter holidays
Spellings - 13/03/20